Saturday, March 24, 2012

Snippets

- My mom is amazing. Yesterday she came and helped me clean the house and do yardwork for almost SIX HOURS. Good thing Dad is away on a business trip so he didn't miss her too much.

- I finished Thoughts of a Grasshopper by Louise Plummer this week. It's a cute collection of short stories, experiences, etc by an LDS author. I loved the chapter on journal writing and may use it in the future if I ever am teaching a class on keeping a journal. It was a funny, quick read. It also made me want to write on my blog more. Hence, one reason you are reading this post.

- I learned how to use my pressure cooker. I am now a major follower of pressure cookers! Thanks, Mom, for helping me make the jump into awesomeness.

- We have a cat. Kind of. We're borrowing her from my sister Janel, and trying to get her potty/litter-trained. We decided to name her Mademoiselle and call her "Miss Maddie" for short, but most of the time just call her kitty. I am getting used to having a real pet (fish and frogs and annoying bunnies and stray cats named Gink don't count) for the first time in my life. Let's just say, it is an incredibly huge adjustment.

- I found out I'm allergic to collophony. Colla-what? (Sounds like a knock-knock joke.) Basically, it comes from the sap of certain trees and is the stuff in rosin (for string instrument bows). It shouldn't affect me too much in my life. Like, at all. But it's random, and it's a snippet, and that's what this blog is.

- It's been almost one year since I graduated from BYU. I cannot express adequately on this blog how much I miss being in school. I know, all the students out there are thinking, "You're crazy." And I don't miss all the (and there was plenty of it in my school career) cramming for and taking finals, staying up laaaaate to write papers, and all that jazz. But I miss the continual increasing of my intellectual abilities, the formal learning environment, the incredible atmosphere of campus. I miss learning from professors who had so much to offer me. (Particularly in my religion, language, and humanities classes.) I miss seeing hundreds of people every day. It was a fantastic place to run into old friends and catch up for a minute or two on what was going on in their life. But, alas, my life has moved on, and I'm grateful to have a job and an income now! (albeit small income.) But whenever I have occasion to be on campus, I feel pretty homesick. I want to go back and get a Master's degree sometime, but I don't know what to get it in. And it seems pretty silly to get a Master's just to be in school. So for now, I work. And dream of school.

- Last night I dreamed that I went to the Sunday church services of an LDS ward in Eastern Utah by a big forest, and after the meetings the bishopI got called to be the Relief Society President. I said, "Are you sure?" to the bishop, and he said yes, and so I accepted the calling. It wasn't until I was driving the 3-4 hours home that I realized 1) I didn't even live in the ward boundaries and 2) It was a singles ward and I was married.

- I rarely exercise these days. When I start feeling antsy and want to go exercise, I know it's been waaay too long. Then I see a Reese's Peanut Butter Egg ... and the exercise thought promptly jumps ship.

- I went to a mosque last week! It brought back so many memories of Jerusalem and my experience there three years ago. Heather was kind enough to let me tag along on her class field trip to Salt Lake. It was wonderful - it always is for me, if I'm in the right mindset - to be able to observe others worshiping in the way they know how. We can gain so much truth from other faiths if we but open our eyes to see the good and truth they possess. And, I really, really love Muslims. Really. They are fabulous, wonderful people. Along with going to the mosque, we went to an authentic Middle Eastern restaurant in Salt Lake. It was there that I tasted goat for the first time in my life. It was nasty.

- There are flowers blooming outside the front door. One positive of living in a basement is that when flowers are planted in the ground, they are just about eye-level. So you can't miss 'em! Purple, yellow, and pink. A bright spot to my day. The daffodils are coming up and the crocus are out as well. And last week I cleared away the tomato cages (and dead tomato plants) from last summer/fall that have almost become permanent fixtures in our (not-so-trashy-anymore) yard.

- Insomnia stinks.

- Growing up in the Wilson house, it was a major no-no to put any sort of screw, nail, push pin, or thumb tack in the walls. Therefore, I have, as an adult, been petrified to hang picture frames. Mom came to the rescue again, pounding away with gusto and confidence, and we finally have wedding photos on the walls.

- The oven has been "preheating" on broil for the past hour, at least, because I was going to make a cheese sandwich but haven't gotten around to it. Don't tell the landlord. He's out of town on a business trip, so we're good. :)

- People have been so kind lately. I'm so thankful for the little things, and the big things that people do. I am thankful that Heavenly Father - and others - are so patient with me. (Including my husband, my parents, my siblings, my in-laws, my tenants, my visiting teachees, my friends in Primary, my blog readers, my ward friends and friends in general, and my extended relatives.) I have many weaknesses, and I also have many strengths. I know that faithfulness in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not make us immune from struggles and hard times; but it more fully allows and equips us to not only withstand the trials, but to become purified through them. I recently read this quote by Anne Morrow Lindbergh, as quoted in a talk entitled "Enduring Well" by Elder Neal A. Maxwell.
“I do not believe that sheer suffering teaches. If suffering alone taught, all the world would be wise, since everyone suffers. To suffering must be added mourning, understanding, patience, love, openness, and the willingness to remain vulnerable” (“Lindbergh Nightmare,” Time, 5 Feb. 1973, 35).
- General Conference is in just 7 days. Corey sometimes likes to do a "media fast" the week before conference to get in the zone (no facebook, espn, surfing, TV, radio, secular music, etc; only email and other necessary technology). I'm looking forward to feeling (hopefully) the Holy Ghost more strongly in my life, and desiring a deeper testimony of Jesus Christ and of living prophets. I love to pray that everyone participating in Conference will be blessed and inspired as they prepare their talks.

- I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. And I am proud of it.

7 comments:

Corey said...

Suzy, you are so complete and perfect! I am so passionate about loving you. :)

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda said...

I loved your write-up. If reading "Thoughts of a Grasshopper" gets you going with such sweet write-ups, you better get a permanent copy to keep close at hand! You already know I think you're amazing. :)

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
janel said...

Whoa, when it rains it pours! Love the blog post full of Suzy's Snippets. It just whets my appetite for more snapshots into your life. One snippet I would write about today (for myself) would be: why is there a Sweet Tooth Fairy across the street from the place we frequent most in our city: the Library? EVIL! Deliciously evil. $1 sure doesn't go far in that place.

Danielle said...

Wow, what a great summary of your life. First, what do you cook in pressure cookers? I've done beans and chicken and pork and that's it, but I'm interested in your recipes! I miss school sometimes too. I was never one of those people dying to get out. There are a lot of great things about it, especially BYU. Goat, yuck. And I miss those crocuses too! I wonder if they grow in Las Vegas.

krista said...

Ok, I love this post. I can totally relate. First, to being a student and missing it. I totally miss those days. So much learning and such fun social interactions. It really goes from the "enter to learn" to "go forth to serve." Also, go make your sandwich! Also, I had totally forgotten about Gink. Ha! I was going to comment on something else but I can't remember now.