Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Goodbye, student status

I'm graduating this week from BYU. It is pretty unreal. I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do with myself after I no longer have school that so heavily influences my life. I have 3 more finals left (I've always been great at procrastinating) and then a bunch of ceremonies, a geeky-looking outfit, probably some pictures so we can reminisce later, and a dinner at my parents' house to celebrate. Then - it'll all be over.

And I'll no longer be a student.

Part of me is elated! But part of me is frantic. I feel like I'm losing my identity - like someone is tearing it away from me. I picture that someone as an evil green ogre with long fingernails and lots of warts. I guess I just need to remember that I'm the one that applied for graduation in April, after all. And, if I feel like I've lost part of my identity, maybe that's just a sign that it's time for me to discover a different part of my identity that has been in the shadow of the "student" identity for the past sixteen years.

5 comments:

Corey said...

It's so easy to love you :)

Val said...

I didn't know you were graduating! Congrats! We need to get together soon. I realize that from our last scheduled time to meet and me being the one who canceled, I am responsible for setting up the next time to get together. Working on it :)

Danielle said...

Can't wait to see what else emerges for your life now. Congratulations on doing it!

janel said...

Well we're eagerly awaiting you to embrace your role as Auntie and move up here for a few weeks so we can get our fill!

Becca said...

Your new identity, if you choose to accept it: Mrs. Hang Out With Becca!!!!!