Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Messy

Lately I have been struggling with messiness. Sigh. My goal for this week (made Sunday night), is to put away the clothes I take off right away. And? Let's just say it's obviously a goal for a reason...

It's not just clothes that I have a problem with either. I cleaned up all the random stuff in our living room on Sunday afternoon, and by Monday afternoon stuff was somehow strewn all over again! Corey and I know we're not the neatest people ever, but we don't consider ourselves total pigs (aka really messy people).

We were brainstorming and maybe it's just that we don't have specific places for everything. Hence, our backpacks are always out; our scriptures are always out; the laptop and power cord are always out in random places; etc etc etc. Also, we have too much stuff so that complicates the matter as well.

How do you keep your living quarters neat and clean? I'd love any pointers (other than annoying ones that suggest throwing away all our stuff, because I admit that I am a pack rat and fairly attached to a lot of it).

7 comments:

Becca said...

marry jordan.

Becca said...

he he--maybe get some storage boxes/crates and you can keep the stuff organized in your little evil spider closet, that's what we did! Or, just throw it in DW's old place--isn't that what you do? :)

Rachel said...

haha. David and I have the same problem. :) Our excuse is that we don't have enough space to even be organized. So it can't be neat and tidy because there isn't a space to put it!

Alas. This is a project of mine after April.

Danielle said...

Ha Becca!!! I think what helped me the most when I lived in the teeny apartment there was to only keep the stuff out that I used frequently- the other stuff, put it out in the garage. You could put it out there and see if you miss it. And get more shelves. Maybe you could post a picture of your apartment, since I've never even seen it! I also like having hooks by our door for the kids' jackets.

Kimberly said...

I hear you! Sometimes I wish I could borrow Jordan for a few days and make him organize our place!

Seriously, I think finding places for things really helps. One thing I did to help with clothes on the floor was to buy some wire storage cubes. We put them up in the bedroom and I assigned one cube for my exercise clothes, one for Spencer's clothes that have been used, but aren't ready to go in the hamper yet, and one for Spencer's shoes. Our floor is much cleaner already!

janel said...

Hire Jordan. : )
I have been mentally changed by his idea of making a place for everything so, just like you touched on, you know where to put it when it comes time to clean up. Also, I don't think I'm too untidy, but I HATE to put my clothes away at bedtime. That is one thing I really have to make myself do.

janel said...

Plus, just think how less often you'll lose your keys/camera if you're organized!!