Friday, December 10, 2010

Press Forward Having a Perfect Brightness of Hope

I'm just very, very grateful for my life this morning. I hope you are too. It is a wonderful day to be alive. I challenge you to find something good about this day. (I promise you can. Even if you're having the worst day of your life.) Today is our chance, right now, to use our agency and become who we must become.

I've been reading the Book of Revelation. Oddly enough, I love it. I love thinking about the 2nd Coming and all the wonderful things that will happen then and before then. And just think of it - we're seeing many of those miracles come to pass! I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father for the privilege of living in the last dispensation and preparing the earth for when the Savior comes again. Sure, lots of awful things are happening during this, the seventh seal, and unfortunately they will just get worse. John tells us that before the Savior comes, and during the seventh seal, there will be many calamities and natural disasters, men shall seek death and shall not find it, and mankind in general will still not repent (Rev. 9:20). And many other terrible things will happen.

BUT. We know who wins in the end. We know who will save us - if we live up to the promises we have made and continue to make. Jesus Christ, the Almighty, Faithful and True, the bright and morning star (Rev. 1:8, 19:11, 22:16). Just make sure you're fighting for the right side, and definitely don't be caught sitting on the fence post trying to decide who you're for - that's akin to standing in no-man's land during a crossfire: no one is going to protect you. This is not a time to be lukewarm, people! The Lord says that he'd rather us be hot or cold rather than lukewarm. The penalty for lukewarm-ness? He'll spew us out of His mouth (Rev. 3:16). Pretty vivid imagery. I don't know about you, but that scripture makes me want to keep my covenants.

Just five days ago, in the 1st Presidency Christmas Devotional, President Uchtdorf admonished us to "Look steadfastly for His coming." He continued,
Our work is to prepare ourselves and the world for the coming of the Messiah in glory... Let us look forward to that blessed day when the King of Kings descends with a shout, takes away death, dries up tears, and ushers in a new era of peace, joy and learning. ...[I]t seems to me that [the Christmas season] should also be a time of looking to the future. Let us look forward. Let us prepare for that blessed day when He will come again... And may we look steadfastly forward to that blessed day when the resurrected Christ will walk the earth again as our our Lord, our King, and our blessed Savior. (click here to watch the full talk)
On this tenth day of December two thousand ten, I declare that I look forward to the return of the Savior to the earth. As Joshua of old, I proclaim that "as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" (Josh. 24:15). I challenge you to carefully examine your life, then do the same.

Merry Christmas to you all. :)

3 comments:

janel said...

I actually really like Revelation, too, and I loved the song we sang at my concert about Revelation. Have you done Isaiah yet in the same mind frame?

Sarah Wills said...

I loved how you stressed the hope amidst all of the casualties - because it is true! I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to live in the last days too.

I am in a Writings of Isaiah class right now - Brother Ball. It's an awesome class. Maybe next semester I'll take Revelations!

Brit Jo said...

Thanks Suzy. This was the perfect thing for me to read today and it made me feel so much better! You're amazing.