Monday, October 04, 2010

Breaking a Social Norm

Have you ever seen anyone riding a bike with a backpack strapped onto their chest and a guitar strapped on their back? Well, you would have been able to check this one off your bucket list if you had driven down 700 East today about 9:45 am.

I had to ride bowlegged because the backpack banged against my knees as I pedaled. I was quite a sight to behold! Then (of course), my waterbottle fell out of the netting pocket on the side of my backpack and banged on the ground. Luckily a nice girl picked it up for me so I didn't have to get off my bike to get it (which would have been quite the ordeal). Ha ha ha. I did get some weird looks from other people walking to school.

Up until a year or two ago I would have died of embarrassment from doing this. I did feel like the man in this painting (except on a bike).
"The Burden of the Responsible Man" by James Christensen

In fact, I almost got off and just walked my bike but I decided to stick it out and ride - plus I didn't want to be late for class. The thing that really kept me pedaling one rotation after another, though, was the phrase, "It doesn't matter what other people think, it doesn't matter what other people think." And it worked - because it's true! :) At the stop light two girls made a comment about how much stuff I had (I wouldn't let myself even imagine what they were thinking). I told them it was my goal just to get to school without dying. :) And I did.

Although I can now check doing this whole bike off my bucket list, I don't think I'll be doing it on a regular basis. I'll stick to walking to school on Mondays and Wednesdays when I've got that guitar class.

6 comments:

Danielle said...

HA! Or you could stick to renting a locker in the HFAC. They aren't that expensive...

Kimberly said...

I second Danielle's suggestion to rent a locker. Although, your bike-ride adventure sounds pretty hilarious. I think we need a picture of that!

Brian & Kyla said...

Oh, I wish I could have seen it!

janel said...

As if there were a book called "Social Norms--Follow Us or You're an Idiot" ...but I do the same thing--get a big fat complex over when I'm doing something "weird." It can be really hard to have self-confidence sometimes when you're not looking/acting like everyone else.

Linda said...

Good luck "master-juggler!"

Becca said...

Yaya! I would've given you a ride, you should've told me! At least you didn't pedal away to school, 7 mo. pregnant and fall right off your bike in the middle of the road. That was embarrassing too. :) It's true, though, way to be YOU!