Wednesday, June 16, 2010

So long, farewell

I recently finished a final and left the classroom, walking slowly to the library. I felt a weird mix of emotions, none of which were happy. What the? I realized that I was actually sad about this class ending.

This does not happen to me. Usually I'm ecstatic, or just plain relieved that I survived the course. However, this semester I have absolutely loved taking my first American Sign Language class (ASL101). I've learned about a language and culture that fascinates me, and that I am itching to know more about. One of the reasons this class was so fabulous was because of my teacher. Marlene Malm is an incredible Deaf woman who has inspired me. I really do love her. I relished in the smaller class and the more intimate atmosphere. Also in a professor who knows me by name and is invested in her teaching. We had class Mon - Thu for an hour and a half, so we got to know each other pretty well. She has the cutest sense of style. :) And best of all, I feel like I'm better equipped to be a kingdom builder. Boo ya. :)

The other class I took this semester, Western Humanities 201 (antiquity to Renaissance), was great as well. I'd say I enjoyed the 202 class (Renaissance to present) that I took this past Winter semester more, but 201 was great as well. I read stuff by Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle for the first time in my life. We also read Virgil's Aeneid, Dante's Divine Comedy, and Homer's The Odyssey (I understood a lot more this time than when I had to read it in 10th grade!). Okay, all those books makes me sound really impressive, but we actually only read excerpts. Still. I probably never would have read some of these classics on my own (I still don't understand why some of them are labeled classics!), and I probably won't read most of them again. But I feel more educated and cultured and informed about the history of Western thought.

Also, I have a triumph to announce. I actually went in to this professor and disputed a couple of grades on some assignments I felt were graded unfairly. (This is a big deal. I've never done that before!) And, she gave me back some points! Huzzah! If I have any advice for incoming college students (Hez), I would tell them that professors are much less scary and intimidating when you talk to them alone, in their office. So take advantage of it. Even if you're scared (I was) and have to say a lot of prayers before you go in (I did) and even if you're afraid they'll just think you're a point-monger who slacks off until the last day of the semester (I did), think Nike. Just do it. And sometimes they even have candy, too. :)

On a sour note, I just checked my book list for this next semester, and the BYU Bookstore estimates that I will fork over no less than $289.10 for books this semester (if I buy them all new). I'm only taking 6 credits, people!!! Sheesh!! I'll have to take out a student loan to pay for these books. Either that or buy them all used and tattered and falling apart off the internet, and have them arrive halfway through the six-week semester. (I'm leaning toward the latter.) Maybe I'll start up a personal collection basket and send it around church this coming week. I think our bishop would go for that...after all, he was my high school chemistry teacher! :) I'm sure I could pull some strings...

7 comments:

gigi said...

Woah, Shelton is your bishop?! First of all, he would totally go for that. Second of all, I'm jealous.

I know what you mean about being sad though...I'm so depressed that anatomy is over. I never thought I would like that class, but turns out I LOVED it.

Danielle said...

There's always the library for textbooks, and then get Dad to check them out! Your classes sound wonderful. And way to go about talking to the prof- I'm glad you got candy!

janel said...

I think your bishop will not go for that--only because you're a Wilson. He'll probably remind you of that from the pulpit. Also, way to have some guts about grade disputations! Krista would be so proud.

janel said...

Don't you think Suzy's Babysitting deserves a spot on the classics list? And on your blogroll?

Becca said...

Textbooks STINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jordan said...

You should definitely update your blog roll to mine and Christina's blog instead of my old one.

Valerie said...

I didn't know you took an ASL class!?! Didn't you just love it? We should sign together sometime! :)