Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Losing stuff.

Huzzah for honest people and for the BYU Lost and Found!! Some time last week I left my two ASL textbooks on campus, and some kind soul (bless them) turned them into the Lost and Found. I don't even know where I left them (!) but I am extremely grateful that I was able to get them back, and promptly at that, in spite of my name not being written in them. And, unfortunately, this isn't even the first time in the past 2 months I've graced the BYU Lost and Found with my presence! On March 24, I received an email with this as the subject: "From BYU Lost and Found -- PLEASE READ!!" Boy was that email an answer to prayer - someone had turned in my school binder with notes and projects in it (I don't know where I left that either). I am seriously so spacey sometimes. It is very, very fortunate that I live in a place where people are generally honest and generally don't take things that aren't theirs. Corey very rarely misplaces things (no fair). It seems like I'm destined to lose something and everything.

Supporting Evidence (the list kept getting longer and longer as I kept typing!!)

We have yet to make a copy of the key to Corey's car. (It has been on my to-do list for months. Don't judge.) The lack of multiple keys is annoying sometimes, but it just requires a bit more coordination of schedules, planning, and passing around of the key. Corey has admitted to me that when he takes the key off his key ring and gives it to me, he's always a little wary and worried that he'll never see it again (and therefore the car will be useless). And I can't blame him. I'll forget about the key and leave it in the bottom of my bag or in my coat pocket.

I go to school without my textbook, I leave things at my family's, I leave jackets at parties, etc etc etc.

One time in high school I had no clue where my wallet was for 5 or 6 months. Then one day I found it - in the backseat of my car. (he he)

Last summer, I lost my keys the week before I moved out of Monticello Apts and couldn't find them so I had to pay a $50 key replacement fee! Boo. I never found that set of keys.

I've lost my driver's license, social security card, my BYU ID, and my jump drive multiple times. One time I found my jump drive in my makeup/cosmetic bag with all my hair stuff. ???

Once Dad was giving a fireside up at Aspen Grove, and my sister Becca and I went up to play a musical number. I didn't realize until we pulled into the driveway to our home that I had left my flute on a picnic table back at Aspen Grove. My only consolation was that since Becca had her permit she was able to get another hour or so of night driving in for her driving hours...

A couple weeks ago Corey, Kim, and I went up to Sandy for a Jerusalem reunion at one of the service missionary couple's home. I forgot my jacket and my camera there. Luckily, Angie, who hadn't left yet, was kind enough to bring them back safely for me.

One time last fall when I was engaged I looked down and my ring wasn't on my finger. My stomach dropped. I searched, Corey searched, two or three of my roommates searched, and we eventually found it - in my box of Jerusalem souveneirs. We promptly got it resized (I haven't lost it since :).

I used to misplace my temple recommend all the time until Corey kindly suggested to me that if I ALWAYS kept it in my wallet, I'd never not have it. (Unless I lost my wallet, which is entirely possible and has happened many times before.) Always keeping your recommend in your wallet sounds so easy and logical...I guess it's just too easy... Since making it one of my New Year's Resolutions to keep it in my wallet, I haven't misplaced it once this year! (Except for when I've lost my wallet, which doesn't count.) I'm pretty sure that's a record streak, thanks to Corey's logical influence. :)

I'm really grateful Corey decided to marry me even though I lose stuff all the time. I can easily imagine that it would be pretty annoying having to ask, "Where was the last place you saw it?" and "When was the last time you used it?" multiple times a week. What a gent - and an extremely patient one at that.

12 comments:

amanda & dave said...

haha! i can't believe you've lost your ss card !

I lose things too. Dave is nice until I lose my chapstick for the sixth time that day. :)

Casey said...

That is too funny! At least your key didn't cost the $200 I paid for the rental car when I came up for the wedding....after Corey and I turned his house upside down looking and paid the locksmith to unlock the car to check inside, no luck...I went to the dealership and bought a new one. Then I went back to Joy's started to undress and when I took off my boots guess what fell out? You got it, the key! I wish it would have had a clapper on it!!!!!!!!!! ; )

Danielle said...

Wowie!!! That is a lot of lost stuff! Recently I lost my checkbook, so I had to reset the account and call like 10 vendors that were on autopay and get new checks. And I just found it underneath the shoe rack. ARG on losing things! (Just get the key copied at Walmart next time you go. It costs like $2. Well worth the peace of mind!! And while you're at it, make like five copies.)

Linda said...

Here here for honest people! It redeems my faith in people once again.

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Corey said...

Y'all, Suzy made me look like a very competent, "on it" person! I'm just giving everyone a friendly reminder that I am definitely NOT as good as she described me!! I certainly have my unorganizing issues too!! :)

janel said...

I cannot believe you really lost all those things? The flute at Aspen Grove? Wow!!! The wallet in the back of the car?
This post made me think of Yente's comment about her head in Fiddler on the Roof. Goodbye, Suzy! [say that with a Jewish accent]

Lisa said...

Haha. Love this post! Love the lost and found! They have my pink water bottle right now. I should stop in and claim that soon. :) I miss hearing these stories from you every day!!!

Becca said...

My favorite part--you leaving your flute on a picnic bench in the mountains!!! And also the part where you said Boo. :) This is a hilarious post.

Kimberly said...

You and Spencer could commiserate. Just ask him how many times he has left his camera case in the Cannon center or various other locations (it usually has his various cards, money, etc. along with his camera).

I guess I could commiserate with you, too. I lost my watch about a month ago. Even when I moved everything out of my apartment, it still didn't turn up. They couldn't find it at the lost and found, either. Well, lo and behold, Spencer and I were on our honeymoon and I started digging through my backpack (I brought it as a carry-on) and guess what I found in the bottom of my bag? ;)
(it was about a day after I had bought a new one at Walmart, too!)

Summary: You must be a Wilson!

Liz Wilcken said...

Just as long as you don't lose your kids!!! Maybe you could tether all the stuff you lose often to yourself ;) I have the same problem.

krista said...

I guess we could say that we know what probably happened to the jump drive...you lost it somewhere. I would recommend an attachment to some important place--like your backpack...good luck. Haven't seen it.