Sunday, April 18, 2010

French Bread

I made French Bread today. :) Thanks to Krista for the yum yum recipe. It's supposed to be quick and easy...but it did take me a while. Hopefully with time I'll get faster...cause I'm definitely going to be making it again!


After Corey's first bite he said, "This reminds me of my mission. This tastes wonderful, Suzy! You've outdone yourself again....Is there anything you can't do??" Let's just say...ultimate compliment...especially considering he served in France...French Bread...huzzah!


(I tried to make the pictures look glamorous, but hey, it's a flat-ish looking loaf of bread and I can't disguise it.)



If you care, here is the recipe.

French Bread

3 c. flour
2 Tbsp yeast
2 c. water
2 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt


Egg wash:
1 egg white
1 Tbsp water
Whisk together and brush over bread.

Put water in mixer. Dissolve yeast. Add other ingredients. Mix well. Continue adding additional flour until the dough cleans the side of the bowl. Knead 2-4 minutes. Divide in half--if making loaves. Using oil, roll out dough into a 9X13 rectangle. [Not too flat.] Roll the long way, tucking ends under. [Skipped this step...b/c I didn't really know what it meant..] Sprinkle pan with cornmeal. [I didn't have any so I just sprayed the pan.] Place loaf on top of cornmeal and using a sharp knife, cut diagonal slits on top of loaf every 1 ½ to 2 inches. [This makes it look fancy and legit. :) ] Brush with egg wash. Let rise until double approx 20-30 min. Bake 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes until brown.

Then...DEVOUR.

11 comments:

Danielle said...

Okay, now I am doubly motivated to make this bread... is it from Krista? YUM!

Danielle said...

Aha. I guess you already said that at the beginning of the post.

janel said...

You domestic goddess you! And even at finals...that's so impressive you had the mental energy!

Chels said...

I concur. There really isn't anything you can't do :)
I'm excited to try this bread!

Suzy said...

well, it WAS Sunday... not like I'm going to be studying for finals.. plus corey was at meetings and I had already taken a nap :)

Linda said...

I concur. I made it last week after Krista sent the recipe and it was a hit here as well...I just didn't know it tasted so "authentic!" :0

Corey said...

I just finished eating some more bread for lunch! And I had some for breakfast!! :)

Kimberly said...

Yummo! Thanks for putting the recipe up-- I'm excited to try it out (once life gets less crazy)!

krista said...

I admit I didn't invent the recipe but got it from a lady who taught our YW. The cool part is you can put stuff inside--like pizza materials and make a big calzone thing (or you can braid it if you're feeling fancy). It's super easy and quick too. That's where wrapping up the edges counts. Good luck all

Becca said...

Maybe you can make some more, and let me know as soon as it's out of the oven?...

amanda/dave said...

yum! I made this yesterday and it was yummy. we almost ate the whole loaf at once.