Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Advice

As many of you know, I'm getting married on Friday. (woo!) Having never been married, I do not consider myself an expert in the field. So this is an open blog post. Any advice, suggestions, thoughts, or anything else you have regarding marriage are welcome and appreciated - and thanks to blogger, you can leave it easily in the form of a comment! (ps - It's not hard to leave a comment, you know. You can even leave it anonymously if you desire to remain unnamed.)

While there are no guarantees that I will take your advice, I'm nevertheless looking forward to hearing your thoughts, whether you are married or single or whatever. :) I need all the help I can get, after all...

7 comments:

Ash said...

Have Corey bring you breakfast in bed every morning :D Okay...so maybe not...but encourage him to cook once in awhile. My dad cooks when my mom is too busy or on weekends and its really sweet of him!

Jordan said...

My biggest thing as I'm preparing for marriage is realizing it's not always going to be perfect--but as long as I am unselfish and have an anxious concern for her well being. I'm taking that from President Hinckley, he said, "True love is not so much a matter of romance as it is a matter of anxious concern for the well being of one’s companion."

janel said...

You're asking for more advice after our chat on Saturday? : )

Brian & Kyla said...

Don't let anything ruin your special day. Even if something doesn't go right, just blow it off. I'm sure everything will be wonderful! Congrats again!

Becca said...

my advice: no blogging at 1:19 am. ever. you should be in bed, whether married or not.

amanda and dave said...

bhaha, I think you shouldn't ask kristen or me for more advice :)

but...kiss lots and don't forget sometimes it's hard but so worth it! (marriage).

Laura said...

1. Someone once asked Sis. Hinkley what the key to a happy marriage is. She replied "Low expectations." I think she was saying that we should be more focused on our spouse and their needs than what we can get from our spouse.

2. Resist the temptation to be his mother. I take responsibility for most of the cooking cleaning etc. But I do not clean up after my husband, when he leaves clothes on the floor I throw them behind the door until he picks them up on his own. I think I respect him more because of that.

3. People will tell you to be prepared for hardship. They will tell you how difficult marriage is. But you also need to know how wonderful it is. You will receive strength and joy from your marriage and blessings that you never had before. The brethren would not emphasize marriage so much if it were not necessary to both our happiness and salvation.