Sunday, April 05, 2009

Good Palm Sunday!


People here actually celebrate Palm Sunday! It's a tradition I want to keep when I get home and for the rest of my life. We walked (part of) the traditional route of Christ's Triumphal Entry into Jerusalem today. Definitely one of the most interesting parades I've ever been in (my T-shirt and sandals were much more comfortable and cooler than those darned THS marching band uniforms...) It was a great experience to be there to march with and watch thousands of believers commemorating the beginning of the last week of the Savior's life, especially when Christians are becoming more and more the exception here in Jerusalem. (Only 4% of Jerusalem is Christian now.) If I had lived back then, would I have been one to grab a branch from a palm tree, signifying victory, and put it in the street to welcome the Savior? Would I have cried, "Hosanna to the Son of David; Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord; Hosanna in the highest!"? I hope so.

But, dilemma. I live today, in 2009. What can we do to honor and welcome the Savior, to proclaim his victory in our day and age? If we go around throwing palm fronds around on the sidewalks and shouting "Hosanna!", we will probably just get lots of weird looks. But we can triumphantly proclaim the good news of the gospel and the miracle of Christ's death and resurrection for us by sharing our testimony and beliefs with our family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, peers, and even strangers. The processional/walk/parade today was cool and fun, but let's be honest: what better way is there to celebrate Palm Sunday and Easter than to talk with others about our love for and dependence on the Son of God, the Bread of Life, the Good Shepherd, the King of Kings.

6 comments:

Katya said...

Oh man, Suzy I am so jealous. That sounds like an awesome experience. Nice post!

Becca said...

wow suzy! nice post. thanks for the reminder, i need a little help in the missionary department

L. said...

That was definitely a memorable experience. --Mom

janel said...

Neat experience! I have never seen quite as bright a color of habit as those nuns had in the last picture!

janel said...

You pick up a bit of Catholic vocab when your husband works with nuns! Habit is the traditional conservative Catholic nuns' outfits. I've never seen royal blue habits before.

Danielle said...

Cool pictures. As always! How cool to actually celebrate Palm Sunday. I was trying to explain it to Jacob, but I don't know how much her really understood!