Monday, February 23, 2009

one-liners

I have a paper due tomorrow in my Old Testament class.

We were assigned to choose a “one line sermon” from the Bible and expound on it.

The one liner could be from any phrase or sentence we have come across and has made an impact on us throughout our study of the Biblical text.

What a fun assignment!

Somehow I’ve managed getting this far in my BYU career without having to write a religion paper, so this is actually my first one ever.

Anyway, I never realized how many great one-line sermons there are in the Old Testament.

Wow.

Just a few words can say so much and be so powerful if we let them.

Kim has kept an ever-growing list of the good one-liners she has found as she’s read, and it is pretty impressive.

In fact, the other day she made the comment that they are perfect preparation – you just keep a list of the one-liners in your scriptures and if you are ever asked to give a talk on the spot, no prob!

Just pull out a one-liner and you have a great springboard for an impromptu talk.

(She’s a wise one, she is.)

Here are three of my personal favorites.

“Certainly I will be with thee” (Ex. 3:12) [The Lord to Moses]

“Every one which sought the Lord went out unto the tabernacle” (Ex 33:7) [children of Israel in wilderness]

“All the city of my people doth know that thou art a virtuous woman” (Ruth 3:11) [Boaz to Ruth]

Do you have any favorite one-liners?

If you don't have any, or even if you do, try writing down the ones you come across.

It'll be worth it.

Plus, who knows - your bishop could always pull a fast one on you ...

2 comments:

gigi said...

It's hard to remember sometimes that there is good stuff in the Old Testament, but those are definitely some good one-liners!
Thanks for the comments, I really do appreciate it!
Love,
Locrian

Danielle said...

What a missionary comment about the one-liners! That hasn't happened to you, Kim, has it? I really love the one "Certainly I will be with thee." That is so profound. I think maybe I'll put it up somewhere.