Sunday, February 22, 2009

I walked today where Jesus walked!

(Okay, so actually it was a few days ago, but I didn't get around to posting until today. :)

Here are Heather, Kim and me standing on the remnants of what's left of the ancient Roman road going from the Mount of Olives down into the Kidron Valley and up to the Temple Mount. Jesus probably would have walked on this road.



Wow. Soooooo cool.

As cool as it is, however, it's really not that cool, in the sense that in reality it doesn't guarantee anything. I am reminded of a talk given by John Tanner (thanks to Mom for giving it to me). In it, he says,

As I sit on these ancient steps, hallowed by the feet of the Master during the climatic moments of his ministry, I am reminded of a lesson I relearn every time I come to Israel. It is not enough, nor is it even essential, to walk where Jesus walked—whether on these steps, or the Via Dolorosa, or the shores of Galilee. Many Christians have lived and died without making a pilgrimage to the Holy Land and yet have entered into the Heavenly Jerusalem to dwell with God forever. More important than walking where Jesus walked is walking as Jesus walked. This can be done anywhere. Indeed it must be done everywhere. Every disciple must heed the same call Peter heeded, which echoes still from the ancient shores of Galilee across the miles and down the centuries to each of us: “Come follow me.”

5 comments:

L. said...

I loved that quote. What a great point. --Mom

Danielle said...

That is such a great way to put it. And by the way, all three of your hair is looking pretty good. Just needed a little time to recover...

Katya said...

What an awesome quote Suzy! Thanks for posting it. :)

gigi said...

Very good quote, but I still think it's pretty cool.

janel said...

No doubt someone in the threesome sang the theme song for you?