Monday, December 22, 2008

bethlehem

Today I was in the West Bank. Today I was in Bethlehem. Yes, the two are synonymous. Luckily, Dad has connections and it was deemed safe enough to go (hooray!!). I am so grateful we were able to make it there.

Bethlehem


Welcome to Bethlehem!

Welcome to Bethlehem? This was kind of gross - an open landfill in the middle of town. Definitely not Provo, that's for sure.

I still cannot believe I'm actually here.


The entrance to the Church of the Nativity, church built over the place believed where Mary and Joseph took refuge in the stable because there was no room at the inn. (read more)

Bec, Hez, and me in the Church of the Nativity.
Please disregard my stylish outfit throughout these next photos. Thanks.

This is the spot where Mary supposedly gave birth to Jesus. Even though it kind of looks like a fireplace, I figured I needed a picture with a baby right by it to truly appreciate it. :) Luckily there was a baby close at hand - thanks Krista!

me and Amy (7 weeks)


walking down the streets of Bethlehem



The olive wood carving factory
(also in Bethlehem)


Step one is to let the olive wood dry for 4-7 years, or until ready. Was that 350 or 375? (haha)

The guy at the end of the machine hand carved the first piece of wood, and all the other figurines were carved by the machine simultaneously too. If that makes sense. (sorry the pic is sideways)

Janel, Heather, me, Dad

I thought this was funny but wasn't able to capture the humor in the picture. This cute little old man was over in the corner completely covered with sawdust. He kind of reminded me of the old men in the short movie before A Bug's Life. So maybe you had to be there. Next picture.

me, Janel, Heather, 2 wise men, and a woodcarver


Waiting for our taxi in Manger Square (a big open square right across the way from the Church of the Nativity). And no, we don't use Kodak if you're wondering. :)


Their English is pretty good over here...most of the time. Happy Birthday ... Jesus?

10 comments:

Courtney said...

You're already having tons of fun adventures!!! I'm so jealous.

L. said...

Suz, a fun recap! Thanks. --Mom

janel said...

That Happy Birthday sign was classic. Almost as good as that old man yelling out his best English at our group, "Come in my shop, David. Richard?"

Amanda said...

I love the pictures!! I put a countdown on there. :) I miss you!

Danielle said...

I'm sad I missed those days... but you look like you had a great time. And I liked your stylish outfit.

Beetle said...

This makes me want to go watch a bug's life! I love your humor. Stay safe, I love you guys!

Beetle said...

This makes me want to go watch a bug's life! I love your humor. Stay safe, I love you guys!

Camille said...

So cool!!!

Ash said...

I love the pics! I hope you are doing well.

<3 Ashley

Becca said...

um, i'm pretty sure someone in our fam had a kodak camera. whose was that again?...