Thursday, July 03, 2008

d is for domesticity

Freshman year I told myself that there are four valid reasons why I don't cook or bake:

1. Not enough time
2. Not all ingredients and not enough money to buy them
3. Doesn't turn out when I do try
4. No desire

And they were valid (mostly). And so I didn't cook and it was fine. This past week, however, I turned over a new leaf; I put on a new hat so to speak. Or apron, in this case. K-bob would be proud.

If I had a camera you would be able to view actual pictures of these delicacies (just like on all of those fun cooking blogs), but under the circumstances I think your imagination will do just fine. (Oh and don't forget to visualize the connoisseur in her element in her sweet Zuka Juice apron in the kitchen of number 8. :)
  • Salsa Chicken
  • Breakfast Burritos
  • Orange Julius
  • Fried Rice
  • Pumpkin Custard
  • German Pancakes
  • Lemon Jell-O Cake
  • Apple Crisp
And all this is coming from a girl who cooked pretty much like two times last semester (thanks to large dinner groups)?

I used to tell myself that one of the reasons I didn't like working at Brick Oven was because it was "shallow service." You feed people, they pay, they leave, and two and a half hours later they are hungry regardless of what they ate, regardless of the speed with which you delivered the food, regardless of the amount they paid or tipped. I still agree with all those statements. But in the past week, I have changed my opinion slightly. Simply serving the food may be shallow, but making it for other people is where the service has potential to become more meaningful. In fact, I have realized this past week that one of the ultimate compliments someone can give me is to compliment my cooking. Seriously. Their verbal appreciation of my efforts literally makes all the difference.

Ah. The feeling of feeling domestic. It's new to me, but I like it.

I just wonder how long it will last...?

8 comments:

L. said...

With those kind of scrumptious menu items, I'm sure it will last indefinitely! --Mom

Katya said...

k, whatever Suzy. You always made great stuff last semester! I'm glad though that you like cooking now, haha Kbob would be very proud. :)

Becca said...

nice work, suzy crocker!!!

Danielle said...

Nice! I wish I had been invited to taste the delicacies. Next step, caviar. (You don't have to invite me for that one.)

janel said...

Grandma would be so proud! Next up, pie crusts? Actually, I think you already have too many boys swarming you as is. Let's stick to apple crisp. And, when can I come for breakfast?

janel said...

Oops, I just said almost the same thing as Danielle before reading her comment. Do you want to join OUR dinner group? That might be overwhelming.

janel said...

D is for ding dong the dates keep pouring

Kimberly said...

Maybe we should let Suz make the peanut-butter chocolate cake for my birthday dinner tomorrow. You're up for that, right?