Tuesday, June 03, 2008

the string that ties us all together

I think one of the things everyone in this world wants and needs is to be wanted and needed. This connection to people is absolutely essential for happiness and peace in life. I may be biased because I’m not a hermit and I’ve never met a hermit, but that’s what I believe. Based on my own experiences, the times when I have been the happiest are when I’ve felt connected to and invested in others. Maybe that’s one of the reasons why so many people today aren’t happy – we live in a survival-of-the-fittest society. I remember talking about it in American Heritage and AP History: the rags-to-riches thing is so unique and amazing about America, but has it ultimately come back to slap us in the face? The fact that we can do whatever we want and become whatever we want to be has caused me at times to forget about this important connection with others and focus primarily on myself. Which is one of the few reasons I don’t like college. It is so dang easy for it to become such a selfish time. I realized this last weekend as I was volunteering at the Special Olympics. I didn’t change anyone’s life or make a lasting impression on anyone or anything amazing like that. If anything, I made them hate sit-ups and all other physical exercise by recording how many sit-ups as they could in a minute. Actually, volunteering was more for me than for them. I remembered how I love serving and feeling like I’m contributing to something bigger and better than my own puny life. I remembered that college doesn’t have to become a selfish time. And I’m not going to let it be.

For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.
Matt. 16:25


3 comments:

L. said...

Such a true observation . . . except I see you invested all the time--not just at Special Olympics! You're amazing! --Mom

janel said...

Amen to all that, sister. P.S.--If you want to serve me, please give me one of your awesome backrubs, and don't offer to count situps for me, because I don't think that would be good for our relationship!

Kimberly said...

Suz-- you are one of the most unselfish, serving people I know. You just don't realize how much you do for all of us (like reminding me about my Dr. Donaldson appointment this week!)