Thursday, June 19, 2008

reflection

Why do we do the things we do? Why do I do the things I do? I have been puzzling over this recently. Why do I stay up doing pretty much nothing until 1:30 in the morning when I still have to do my cleaning for cleaning checks and pack for St. George before 8:45 tomorrow morning? Why do I say the things I say, do the things I do? Why is Facebook so tempting? Why do I say things I don't mean? Why.

As I've thought about this I realized that a lot of the reason why I do things is--unfortunately--for the sake of appearance. It's what's expected, it'll be weird if I don't, they think I should, I think I should, it would be the proper thing to do, no one does that, it's what all the others are doing, etc, etc, etc.

What if I did things because I wanted to do them and didn't worry about what other people thought? Scary. But liberating.

Do I dare?

The other day at the Scera Jordan and I rolled down the hill with a bunch of other kids during Intermission and I didn't care or worry about what the other people there were thinking. I'm convinced it's the start of something new. Bring it on.

12 comments:

Kristen said...

You make me smile. :-)

Katya said...

Go Suzy! I think that's an awesome and very worthwhile thing to try to do...not caring what people think is very liberating. :)

Kimberly said...

You should add "Why do I stay up late writing talks the night before I give them?" Then I could answer you-- it's because you're a Wilson! I hope your talk went great today!

Danielle said...

I have another question: Why did I ever wear that outfit? (the one on the top of your blog) And why didn't I learn fashion from you?

Jordan said...

I'm sure they were thinking, "man, they're having so much fun rolling down that hill! I wish we were as cool as them."

janel said...

Well, quit writing good blog entries, and I'll stop staying up so late to read them. : )

Kimberly said...

Hey! How come I didn't make it in the picture at the top of your blog? It's cute, though.

ashley said...

Suzy--I ask myself that question all the time, because some of the things I do just don't make any logical sense! Being a human being is so fun!

L. said...

I loved your spontaneity! --Mom

L. said...

I loved your spontaneity! --Mom

Becca said...

who cares what other people think? hanging out with your old married sister could turn out to be fun!!!
:) ps--i think mom loves your spontaneity :)

Hez said...

Hang around with Aimee sometime--she is pro at helping you not to care what other people think...we go crazy all the time and (usually not) but sometimes I wonder what the heck other people are thinking of us. :) it's fun though, to just do your thing and not care if anyone else cares. :)