Monday, March 10, 2008

Ward Prayer

Why is it so hard to be good sometimes? Ah me. Usually I'm okay (I think) at it, but not when it comes to a few things such as getting enough sleep, attending ward prayer, and punctuality. When my natural man self takes over, I am often tempted to stay up late, skip ward prayer, and procrastinate just enough so that I'll be 5 or 10 minutes late. I'll stop speaking in vague, abstract language and give you an example.

Last night I went over to the family's for dinner and a music practice. After the practice I went over to Ryan's house to drop off Tyler, his younger brother who is kind enough to sing in the musical number with us, and to say hello to his family for a bit. We had only been there about twenty minutes when I realized I needed to leave then to get to ward prayer on time. Ah ward prayer. I have mixed feelings about this aspect of BYU wards. I understand why they have it--bonding, "family" time for the ward family in a relaxed setting, a nice ending to the Sabbath, it makes students feel more at home, and it's a great time to try out your pick-up line on that cute girl (or guy) you've been eying the past couple of weeks. All very true statements. But...I would rather spend time with my REAL family than my 8-month BYU family. So, the dilemma is thus: do I leave my family on Sunday nights to go to my ward prayer where I don't really even enjoy it that much (or at all)? Should I skip out on spending quality time with my family, the people I'll be with for eternity, to kneel down in a crowded lobby with people who I'll only be with for another month and a half? I'm not sure... My guilt complex tells me to go to ward prayer. My common sense tells me to skip it.

I've skipped ward stare, I mean ward prayer, the past three or four weeks. So yesterday I decided I would make an effort and go even though I didn't want to. We left Ryan's house, grabbed my flute and some bread pudding from my family's, and I rushed off to Fox Hall. I reached the doors to the lobby just as the bell tower was striking 8:30. I was thinking, "Perfect! I'm on time and everything!" when a feeling of pure horror overcame me.

The lobby was completely empty. What? WHAT? EMPTY???

Oh.

Of course...now I remember the bishop announcing last week that since it was Stake Conference on the ninth, we wouldn't have ward prayer that night. Lovely. I even tried so hard. Why oh why.

Sometimes it just seems like I can't win. But I know, of course, that that is most certainly and completely untrue. Maybe the solution to my small dilemma involves a) enjoying and living up the 3 hours I usually spend with the family on Sunday nights b) forcing myself to get to ward prayer on time and c) having a good attitude about the whole thing.

Done. No more complaining. That's that. And if you call me at 8:30 next Sunday night, I won't answer...I think you'll know where I am.

7 comments:

Ryan said...

Wow, such initiative, I am very impressed in my TBGF. Although, she wouldn't have gone in the first place if it weren't for my nagging. Oh well, sounds like she's turned over a new leaf, right Suz? I think she would probably like ward prayer better if she tried out some pick-up lines of her own. I know it makes my experience a lot better...

sorry Suz, lousy joke

janel said...

I looked up "ward prayer" in the scriptures, and it wasn't there. Then I looked up "meat markets" and there it was. Proof that you should spend time with your REAL family on Sunday nights! You can try out your pick up lines on me, if you want to keep up with Ryan in that aspect.

Kimberly said...

But for all you know, THE person you'll be with for eternity might be at ward prayer waiting for you! (Just ask Danielle if you don't think it's possible!) But, then again, maybe that's why Ry-ry doesn't object to your skipping out on it. Then he doesn't have to fight off all your swarms of admirers!

Danielle said...

That's true, Adam and I MET at ward prayer!!! But don't worry, we would have met anyway in the ward. I vote you hang with me and Jacob and Cindy and everyone else. So naughty of me.

L. said...

Good luck with your "prayer policy." You know we'd love to monopolize you, but deep down we really want what's best for you, of course! We'll have to help shoo you out the door earlier. --Mom

Camille said...

One of the points of student ward activities is to help those people who are far away from home feel some belonging and closeness that a family would provide. Since you have the opportunity to live so close to your family, you should take advantage of that. But, it is also there so that you can meet new people which won't happen unless you get out of your comfort zone in a boring ward activity. So I think there is a middle ground, not all one or the other because both are very important, follow your heart, not your head on this one.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you are going to be eternally punished for not attending ward prayer..maybe we as roommates could just make a lifesize cardboard cutout of you and take it with us when we go. Maybe that will lessen your guilt when you feel that you can attend in spirit. ( coming from one who misses ward prayerstare more than you do.:) Love melissa