Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Musings

A mere nod and smile at the person sitting diagonal to you at the library table can work wonders. In the library where unzipping a backpack sends a roar of soundwaves hurtling into scores of stressed students, this simple nod is advantageous, for speaking in a library is, as we all know, strictly forbidden. You know that phrase, "A picture is worth a thousand words"? The Nod, as long as eye contact is made and it's accompanied with a smile, has the ability to convey even more than that. It can mean some or all of the following: "Hi ... how are you doing? ... Do you mind if I sit here? ... That textbook looks heavy and way intense, so I won't bother you ... I'm stressed about mid-terms, too ... I'll make sure my phone's on silent so I don't embarrass us both ... There really isn't a way these chairs could be more uncomfortable, is there? ... Does this tapping bother you? ... (and with a longing glance out the window) I too wish I could be out there enjoying autumn in Utah, but no, professors just like to interfere with life. I feel your pain. ..." By the time you leave the library, you're practically best friends and you haven't spoken a word.

Who ever said you needed words to communicate?

3 comments:

janel said...

Maybe the wordy textbooks even out the silent students, and thus achieve a happy medium called "academia"?

Danielle said...

We've all heard the stories about people meeting their spouses in the library (in fact, you hear so many stories at BYU about people meeting their spouses that you will probably feel guilty you haven't met yours yet). Maybe this is how most of them met.

ryan said...

hmm.