Monday, September 03, 2007

I'm waxing poetic...

While attempting to pack my life into a few boxes this weekend, I came upon an old notebook from a creative writing class I took in high school. I don't even remember writing most of this stuff, and I was surprised at myself...thanks Ms. Paul.

The tsunami, gathering momentum, hurls itself toward the beach. It smashes closed doors and obliterates entire walls; palm trees, automobiles, and sunbathers succumb to its chilling embrace.

Poverty gives the unprepared a reality check. It tears apart families. It tears apart lives. Once it's lured you unconsciously into its lair, it's like climbing up an escalator going down...in a wheelchair. Other times, poverty pounces on the unfortunate as a cat on a mouse.

On a lighter note, lest you think I am morbid all of the time:

Surprise is lime green
An exploding balloon
The mystery flavor in a bag of Skittles
Freshly bought wrapping paper
A swiftly concealed glance
The suspense before a rollercoaster starts.

And my personal favorite:

Hope is the pale yellow of a full moon
A chickadee's song on a cloudless morning
French Vanilla ice-cream that half melts on the spoon
The cherry blossoms in the backyard
A smile amidst scowls
The reason to live another day.

Not too shabby? I obviously didn't think they were too bad, or I wouldn't have posted them... Anyway, if you have a minute please let me know what you think, which one is your favorite, etc. I'd love to hear any suggestions or comments that you have!

2 comments:

Wilson Family said...

Suzy,
Those are really nice. Janel and I were both talking about how good they were and I thought, well why haven't I even told Suzy that then?! Keep it up.
Danielle

Mark said...

Awesome poems. Such a creative brain. You should major in Creative Writing, or maybe Music Composition or Visual Art. Oh, no, I've got it--major in Interpretive Dance! I sure wish I had.

Mahkus